Monday, September 24, 2007

When Dave Met His Feminine Side

I have a confession to make. While laying in bed, ready to turn in for the night, I stumbled upon a film I have never seen before. While I am always up for a new film, this one was detrimental to my manhood. Yes ladies and gentlemen, it was When Harry Met Sally.

Okay, let the stones be thrown. For a 22-year-old male to watch this movie from start to finish without a lady friend next to them is completely unacceptable. I get it, I understand. But in my defense, let me offer three reasons why I should get a free pass for this sissy-boy deed.

One, Billy Crystal is a funny guy. Forget that it was a "romantic comedy." Crystal offers a great performance as a depressed city guy and his lines and delivery are spot on.

Two, the cinematography is excellent. The backdrop of New York City in the four seasons is the perfect compliment to the dialogue. From Harry and Sally's stroll through City Park in the fall, from the glitzy New Year's Eve Party, it is a wonderfully shot piece.

Third, the infamous "fake orgasm" scene. Shot in Katz's Deli, an actual restaurant on New York's E. Houston Street, Sally proves to Harry that women are terrific actors. This scene was not in the script and was actually suggested by Meg Ryan. Fun fact: the women who says "I'll have what she's having" is director Rob Reiner's mother.

There you have it, my defense for watching a movie intended for everything but a 22-year-old college student.

No comments:

Post a Comment